Friday, March 16, 2007

Begin It Already!

Roughly four months after intending to start a blog, here I am writing my first post and finally getting started...yet again at the tail end of another technology frontier but excited nonetheless about a new project! I named the blog "Begin it Now" for few reasons, ranging from the practical to the philosophical:
  • I did actually start blogging four months ago, it was just in my head where no one else could read it. So the title is an admonishment to myself to stop procrastinating and do the damn thing, for real, in public.
  • After fifteen years of competitive gymnastics, striving for a perfect 10 yet constantly falling short (and getting publicly judged in the process), I'm trying to ditch the fear of failure and mistakes (which usually just leads to procrastination, see above bullet). Hopefully this new beginning will let me experiment and enjoy not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.
  • I'm a firm believer in the power of individual action to drive positive change, but this power can only be realized if we overcome inertia to start new things, big and small. I feel like there's a lot of exciting bits and pieces of innovation flying around these days, that when added up can lead to a tidal wave of good stuff.
Of course the title is just the beginning, and after four months of internal blogging I've got all kinds of posts swimming around upstairs-- the unavoidable bloggy navel gazing, but also the daily obsessions of work and running, inspirational people and events, sports and settling into a new city, and anything else that crosses my path. I can promise that it won't be perfect, but I hope it might be a fun ride along they way.

No comments: