Friday, April 13, 2007

Rain, with a chance of heavy wind, sleet, snow, and hypothermia

Suddenly this whole Boston Marathon thing isn't seeming like such a great idea. Granted, I'm in full on taper paranoia mode, but the friendly "weather alerts" sent out by the Boston Athletic Association this week aren't helping much.

FORECAST:
The most up-to-date weather forecast calls for a predicted Spring storm on Monday, including heavy rains (potentially 3 to 5 inches), with the start temperatures in the mid to upper 30's. Wind will likely be East (in the face of the participants for most of the race) in the 20 to 25 mile per hour range, with gusts to as much as 50 miles per hour. This will produce a wind chill index of 25 to 30-degrees Fahrenheit.

They go on with a thorough discussion of hypothermia, warning signs, risks, etc...slightly scarier than the one from Wednesday which only mentioned rain and wind! Considering I came home from a windy run one day this winter and announced to Brian that I was quitting the marathon training, wind is not exactly my forte.

Whose idea was this anyways?

UPDATE: I didn't even realize until I posted this that it's Friday the 13th! And the book "The Perfect Storm" is packed in my carry on bag! Suddenly everything is seeming very horror movie like and I'm not sure even the promise of carbo loading in Boston's North End can get me on a plane tomorrow...

No comments: