Tuesday, June 5, 2007

For your listening enjoyment...

I was going to call this post "All up in your earhole!" as a shout out to the Chapel Hill/Durham rap station my roommate and I listened to in college, but then realized that's probably not so funny for those who never listened to that particular radio station. What a great slogan though! Made me laugh every time. Memorial Day and out of town weddings have made life a bit too crazy for regular posting lately, but here are two fun things I've heard in the last few weeks and wanted to share:

OSI Baltimore heard my prayers and you can now listen to Van Jones's amazing "Be Audacious" speech from an event earlier this spring from their website (or maybe they just read my hastily jotted down notes in a previous post and concluded the world needed to know what Van the Man actually said). If you've got 22 minutes and want to hear some great stories from an inspirational social entrepreneur, click here.

One great benefit of living in Baltimore is being close enough to pick up 103.1, an excellent radio station from Annapolis. I was cruising around in the truck one weekend and heard this song-- well more spoken word with a beat really-- and enjoyed the humor and/or biting social commentary. My favorite line is where he talks about getting asked for money from a homeless guy: " I was about to give it to him and then I thought he was going to use it on drugs or alcohol. And then I thought, that's what I'm going to use it on. Why am I judging this poor bastard?" I feel that way when guiltily purchasing US Weekly-- no, not even People magazine, I'm talking US here-- from the Union Station bookstore on those nights when I need a little mindless gossip to ease the hour commute back to Baltimore. I'm pretty sure I lose any credibility to judge the spending decisions of others when I hand over $3.99 to gawk at baby pictures of people I've never met. In addition to homelessness Lazyboy also manages to cover drug wars, prescription drugs, self esteem, prostitution, obesity, and terrorism all in one song-- the video isn't the best but the lyrics are worth it.



No comments: